Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Toy Box: Public Places

 
Toy Box Public Places cover
I wanted this anthology because of the piece by Jay Lygon. I loved Chaos Magic, Love Runes, and Personal Demons, so when I found out there was a short with Hector and Sam in Toy Box Public Places, I was all over it. Even though sex in public is not one of my things. I take the whole consensual thing pretty seriously, and if someone hasn't consented to watching something, then that's a problem for me.

Luckily, that was not a problem in Public Places. Nothing happens in front of people who haven't consented to watch.

The Touch of Nostalgia by Heidi Champa is the first story, where two people meet and head to a back room to have some hot stranger sex. It's not BDSM, but it's just rough enough to not be totally vanilla, either.

Poke on the Water by G. R. Richards ends up with a threesome. This story did the least for me of the three in the anthology, though I'm sure there are others who will say it was their favorite of the three.

And finally, Brat by Jay Lygon has Sam and Hector together after a long absence while Sam has been busy with his various jobs. Hector is taking Sam out of town for some marathon sex, but Sam's head isn't in the right place and he's being a bit of a brat. Never fear though, Hector knows just what Sam needs. I did appreciate that Hector checked in with Sam once though, in the past Hector has had a bit of a temper, and it was nice to see him totally in control in this short.

I'm not really sure how to go about rating the anthology as a whole. Only one of the three stories is BDSM, and while that one had a nice scene in it, it doesn't feel right to rate the whole book based on one story. And if you've read the other books in the Chaos Magic series then you pretty much already know what kind of scene it was without my having to spell it out for you.

It was a nice little short read, and I'm glad to have been able to check in with Hector and Sam again.

No comments:

Post a Comment