Monday, September 6, 2010

Deviations: Bondage by Chris Owen and Jodi Payne

 

Deviations: Bondage is the fourth book in the Deviations series. I've been re-reading and reviewing the series in preparation for book five, Deviations: Safe Words.

Much of what happens in book four was emotionally uncomfortable for me. I knew I didn't like some of it when I read it the first time, but when I read it this time I realized why I didn't like some of what happens: I'm not a big enough person to have been able to make some of the decisions that Noah makes. I would like to think I could have, but in reality.... nope, not at all sure I could have.

However, even though emotionally I had my own personal issues with what happens, physically... wow.  The BDSM is not "same stuff different book". It's just not.

So much changes from the beginning of Deviations: Bondage to the very happy ending that I'm not really sure how to talk about it without giving spoilers. Which I'm not going to do.  So here's the blurb:

In Deviations: Bondage, Tobias and Noah fulfill the most ambitious addition to their new contract by moving in together. The proximity, coupled with the depth of their committed partnership both in and out of the playroom, has them redefining boundaries and creating new dynamics as Master and sub. An unexpected and emotional turn of events forces Tobias and Noah to make life-altering decisions.

Can Tobias manage the intensifying emotional and physical demands on him as Master and lover? Can Noah reconcile his career path with his committed partnership and his submissive lifestyle? Will Phan and Bradford finally find what they need with the help and support of their friends? The last book in the series is full of surprises, intense scenes, hot sex and plenty of love and devotion among the men of Deviations.

The authors did say that book four was the final book of the series. I am so happy that they've changed their minds and are giving us a fifth book. I love these characters.


BDSM elements:
  • Bondage and Discipline: Some bondage, some discipline. Honestly though, not a whole lot of either in the fourth book. 2 of 3.
  • Dominance and Submission: Yes.  3 of 3
  • Sadism and Masochism: Well, yes... but we aren't given the blow by blows of it. Not to the extent we were given in previous books. 2 of 3.
  • Extra Point: Yes.
As for the writing elements, the plot is an extension of plots that began in book one, though you don't realize it when you read the first book for the first time. It's a nice plot, and it works well with the personalities of these particular characters. Pacing does have a few issues in the fourth book, but not any big problems. Prose and dialogue were again very well done, with some nice comic moments woven into the story.  Character development was, again, full of depth and details and was just all around exceptionally well done.
  • Book Rating: 10 of 10
  • BDSM Intensity Level: 8 of 10
  • Heat Level: 5 of 5


1. Deviations: Submission
2. Deviations: Domination
3. Deviations: Discipline
4. Deviations: Bondage
5. Deviations: Safe Words






.

No comments:

Post a Comment