Thursday, April 14, 2011

Manning Up by JT Steele

 

Manning Up didn't work for me. The prose was awkward, the characters didn't have much depth, the "magic" wasn't explained and didn't feel plausible, and the outside conflicts weren't things I wanted to have intrude upon my entertainment time. Also, I felt as if it were billed as a BDSM story, but it wasn't. There was some kink, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it BDSM.

Here is the blurb:

Elijah Kerrigan is gay with two big strikes against him: his father is a preacher and he himself is a professional baseball player. Divorced from a sexless marriage, he feels that coming out of the closet would destroy his life and, worse, hurt his parents whom he deeply loves. He plans on being alone for the rest of his life, but he doesn’t count on meeting Wesley Grayson.

Wesley Grayson is a tall, handsome young artist and the son of a famous rock star. The moment he lays eyes on Elijah, he knows the two of them are destined to be together. Wesley's developing psychic powers leave him so drawn to the handsome ballplayer that he is certain he’s found his eternal soulmate. Out of the closet and comfortable in his skin, Wesley introduces Elijah to hot, kinky gay sex and a leather club that melts his boy in his arms. But that doesn't make the relationship easy; Elijah's still deeply in the closet.

Two homophobic thugs team up with a female tabloid writer and threaten to expose Elijah's secret. Will he have to abandon the best thing he’s ever had to keep his family and his career? Wesley has no intention of letting go of him, but, in the end, unless Elijah mans up, it may not be his choice.

The "magic" was supposed to make us think they knew they were destined to be together forever within hours, but I wasn't convinced. Also, we were supposed to believe that Wesley miraculously healed because he had sex with his soul mate. I love a good urban fantasy story, but I need to be convinced. I need to have the world explained to me.

BDSM elements:
  • Bondage and Discipline: There are two play pretend punishment spankings, so I'll give it a 1 of 3.
  • Dominance and Submission: 0 of 3.
  • Sadism and Masochism: 0 of 3 
  • Extra Point: No
As for the writing elements: The plot didn't work for me, pacing had issues, prose and dialogue didn't flow smoothly,  the characters were not fully developed, and world-building was practically non-existent. 
  • Book Rating: Manning Up: 4 of 10
  • BDSM Intensity Level: 1 of 10
  • Heat Level: 1 of 5

I hate writing what amounts to a bad review. Unfortunately, this story just didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment