A Well Trained Pup takes us from shortly after puppy play training is started all the way to a completely trained puppy. The story is a good one, not as rough as some puppy stories, certainly rougher than others, though. Pup is trained at a nice pace, so that she's ready for the next steps as they come to her. She's trained and humiliated and thoroughly used, but no one is terribly harsh with her (with one exception). However, we see other puppies* being treated harshly when pup is at the parties, and that adds a nice flavor to her experience. It also really helps the heat level.
The language used to tell the story is simple. At times it felt like the rhythm of a preschool reader, but I think that since the "pup" is telling the story, we're getting simplified language because that is how she is thinking at the time.
As a side note, I tried to figure out why pup refers to her Master, her Trainer, as E. No name, just an initial. Other men in the story have names, why not the man she is closest to?
A Well-Trained Pup give us M/f, M/m, M/m/f, F/m/m, MMMM/f, and lots of other configurations. There are a few canings, nice use of a tawse, some hand spankings, a little bit of face slapping, puppy tail butt plugs, a cage, sleeping in baskets, and lots and lots and lots of sex.
- Bondage and Discipline: Some discipline, some bondage. 2 of 3
- Dominance and Submission: Yes, mostly in the context of puppy play, but there are also a few interactions that are more of a typical D/s type. 3 of 3
- Sadism and Masochism:It's not a huge part of the story, but it crops up a few times - primarily as we see other characters interacting with each other. 2 of 3
- Extra Point: Yes, the puppy play is an intrinsic part of the story.
As for the writing elements, the plot is mostly just the story of a girl being trained to be a puppy - not that that's a bad thing, its a perfectly good story, but there are no other plots thrown into the mix. Prose and dialogue had some issues, but I think the author was trying to give us the simple talk of someone who is submerged in the role of a puppy. Character development was sufficient for the story, but could easily have been fleshed out a bit more.
- Book Rating: A Well-Trained Pup: 7 of 10
- BDSM Intensity: 8 of 10
- Heat Level: 5 of 5
* Just to be clear, when I say "pup" or "puppy" or "puppies", I'm talking about the human variety, not the true canine variety. No actual dogs are involved.